Microsoft Outlook for Mac is a replacement for Entourage in Office for Mac 2011. It is a feature-rich application, which offers you all the benefits of an advanced E-mail client and personal information manager. One of the most innovative features of Outlook for Mac is the ability to create easy back and restore data quickly. It helps avoiding data loss and need of Mac Outlook recovery solutions.
Outlook for Mac allows you to create backup of your significant data to Outlook for Mac Data File (OLM). This file may contain huge amounts of data, which include various items like emails, notes, tasks, contacts, calendar entries, and more. You can also use the OLM to archive Outlook data or transfer data from one computer to another.
Mac Outlook repair using OLM file import
When you run across critical corruption issues with Outlook for Mac data files, you can import OLM file using the following methods:
- Open Outlook for Mac.
- Select Import under the File menu.
- Select Outlook Data File on the Import screen, and click right arrow.
- Choose Outlook data file from the available files and click Import button.
- Click Done when the import process is complete. Outlook shows imported items under On My Computer in the navigation pane.
The import process completes only if the OLM file is in perfect condition. In case the OLM file is corrupt, the import process fails and you encounter the error messages.
In such situations, you need to use OLM repair solutions to repair and restore the corrupted OLM files. The commercial recovery tools are effectively designed to extract all emails, contacts, notes, tasks, and other OLM file objects using the most advanced recovery algorithms.
Outlook for Mac is an advanced E-mail client for Mac OS X operating system. It is part of Microsoft Office for Mac application suite and is replacement of Entourage in Office for Mac 2011. Unlike Entourage, it has a totally different data storage mechanism, which is safe and reliable. However, there are some factors that can cause corruption to the data files and put you in need of Mac Outlook recovery solutions.
In order to deal with the most common issues with Microsoft Outlook for Mac, you can use the Rebuild feature of Database Utility. It is an inbuilt tool, which fixes the most frequent problems with Outlook and let you access the files to backup or export. However, Database Utility cannot handle the severe corruption problems and you need to use other OLM repair methods to get the data back.
You can fix the corruption problem with MS Outlook for Mac, if the Database Utility’s rebuild process fails:
- Create a new Outlook Identity and then close all Office for Mac applications. The best way to do it to restart your Mac.
- Locate the Identity folder and Data Records in the Finder.
- Copy all the mails, messages, attachments, contacts, notes, tasks, and other data from Data Records folder of old identity to the data records folder of new identity.
- Open Outlook and rebuild the database.
This procedure helps in most of the corruption scenarios, where you cannot fix the corruption problem because of faulty Identity. Creating a new Identity ensures the successful completion of Rebuild process and makes you significant data accessible again.
Note- The Data Records folder in the Outlook contains all the emails, notes, tasks, contacts, attachments, message sources, signatures, and other data. Outlook does not store the items in Database, like its predecessor Microsoft Entourage for Mac.
Hard disk failure, system breakdown, operating system malfunction, and virus infection are some of the most common causes of data loss. Such issues may take place at any point in time and affect any operating system, including Mac OS X. When you face data loss, you may also lose your critical E-mails, tasks, notes, contacts, and other data from Outlook for Mac. In such situations, an updated backup comes handy and saves your time in Mac Outlook repair process.
MS Outlook for Mac provides you the following easy and effective backup methods, which are very useful to avoid data loss:
- OLM File Backup
- Use Export option under File menu.
- Select “Outlook for Mac Data File (.olm)” option and select the items to include.
- Choose “No, do not delete items” option.
- Copy Microsoft User Data Folder
- Go to Documents directory- /Users/username/Documents/.
- Copy Microsoft User Data folder.
- Paste the folder to external hard drive or backup drive.
When you need to restore the data from backup, you can do any of the followings:
- Use Import option under File menu, select the OLM file, and click Continue.
- Close all MS Office applications and copy Microsoft User Data folder in Documents. Restart Outlook and let it Rebuild the database using Database Utility tool to accommodate new items.
The database restore from backup seems a very easy, quick, and straightforward process. However, sometimes you may find it very difficult to restore the data from backup, especially OLM file. The problem generally occurs if the OLM file itself is damaged and Outlook cannot recognize it.
OLM file corruption is a very frequent issue and you need to use third-party OLM repair tools. Such applications are capable of effectively extracting inaccessible data from damaged OLM file. They retrieve all Outlook data file objects, such as mails, tasks, notes, contacts, calendar entries, appointments, attachments, and more.
Microsoft Outlook for Mac is an advanced and useful E-mail client and personal information manager from Microsoft. It is a part of Microsoft Office for Mac application suite. In Office for Mac 2011, Microsoft has replaced Entourage with Outlook. It is a very efficient client that helps you effectively manage your precious data. However, under some situations, you may find that Outlook is inaccessible and you need to opt for Mac Outlook Repair solutions to get your precious data back.
As an example of this problem with MS Outlook, you may consider the following error message that occurs while accessing your significant data from the application:
“Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”
When this error occurs, your data becomes inaccessible and you need to use OLM repair solutions to get your data back.
You can try out the below steps to work around this problem:
- Close all the Office applications, such as Microsoft Word for Mac and Database Daemon. You can use Force Quit option for this.
- Go to Library folder and move Microsoft Outlook for Mac preferences to the Desktop. Then restart the Outlook to see if the problem is fixed.
- If the above option works and you do not get the error again, then you can proceed to remove the preferences files.
- Move MUD or Microsoft User Data folder to Desktop. If this fixes the problem, then it is due to corrupted database. You can rebuild the database to fix this problem.
- If you are still getting the same error, even after deleting the preferences and moving MUD folder to Desktop, then you need to create a different user account and test Outlook.
- Install latest updates for Microsoft Office for Mac and Microsoft Outlook for Mac. Updates have fixes to various problems that you encounter while working with Outlook.
- Restore your significant data from the OLM file, which is backup of your Outlook database.
If none of the above methods work and your OLM file gets damaged, then you need to opt for OLM file repair solutions. These are commercial tools, which enable you to repair and restore the corrupted data in all corruption scenarios.