Hard disk failure, system breakdown, operating system malfunction, and virus infection are some of the most common causes of data loss. Such issues may take place at any point in time and affect any operating system, including Mac OS X. When you face data loss, you may also lose your critical E-mails, tasks, notes, contacts, and other data from Outlook for Mac. In such situations, an updated backup comes handy and saves your time in Mac Outlook repair process.
MS Outlook for Mac provides you the following easy and effective backup methods, which are very useful to avoid data loss:
- OLM File Backup
- Use Export option under File menu.
- Select “Outlook for Mac Data File (.olm)” option and select the items to include.
- Choose “No, do not delete items” option.
- Copy Microsoft User Data Folder
- Go to Documents directory- /Users/username/Documents/.
- Copy Microsoft User Data folder.
- Paste the folder to external hard drive or backup drive.
When you need to restore the data from backup, you can do any of the followings:
- Use Import option under File menu, select the OLM file, and click Continue.
- Close all MS Office applications and copy Microsoft User Data folder in Documents. Restart Outlook and let it Rebuild the database using Database Utility tool to accommodate new items.
The database restore from backup seems a very easy, quick, and straightforward process. However, sometimes you may find it very difficult to restore the data from backup, especially OLM file. The problem generally occurs if the OLM file itself is damaged and Outlook cannot recognize it.
OLM file corruption is a very frequent issue and you need to use third-party OLM repair tools. Such applications are capable of effectively extracting inaccessible data from damaged OLM file. They retrieve all Outlook data file objects, such as mails, tasks, notes, contacts, calendar entries, appointments, attachments, and more.